In our first three posts you learned why you’re actually ready to start sharing your faith, how easily you can do it using KLŪ, and what real faith sharing looks like.
In this post, we show where you can safely start answering the call of the Great Commission.
When you think of sharing your faith with someone, who’s the first person that comes to mind? A classmate or co-worker? A friend?
That makes sense. We know them: their needs, their hurts, their questions. And we also know Jesus is there for them.
So, what stops us from sharing the Good News? Fear. And that’s normal.
Perhaps our fear is greater, however, when it comes to those we know best. Maybe it’d be easier to move past that fear by first sharing with those we don’t know.
One way we can easily do that is by focusing on folks that populate the periphery of our day: the people working in checkout. You know, the people on the frontline of so many daily interactions: the checkout clerk, the barista, the bank teller, the drive-thru attendant, the support representative, and so on.
For this faith-sharing hack, we’re going to be using the first and most important tool in the KLŪ tool set: say “Keep Looking Up” when parting ways instead of “You, too” or other vanilla goodbyes. You know the routine: Have a nice day – You, too.
It just so happens frontline people might take notice of something different after hearing “You, too” all day long. Better yet, they might even ponder what you meant by it. Think of it as low-risk practice for you and a nice pick-me-up for them.
Oh, and small as it might be, you just planted a seed of salvation. Remember the potential of the mustard seed? “It is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is larger than all the garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches.”” (Matthew 13:32)
How many of these seed-planting opportunities do you have each week? Plenty.
So, use these easy everyday encounters to give fear the boot. You don’t have to stand behind a pulpit to do Kingdom work. Just stand behind your cart in the checkout lane.
Template for This Hack
1. Pray (before you start – anything worth doing is worth beginning with prayer)
- Pray for God to prepare your heart and the heart(s) of others during any checkout encounters.
- Pray for God to use you in even this small way to grow His Kingdom.
2. Plan (for sharing success)
- Identify your opportunities today or tomorrow (grocery store, coffee shop, bank, doctor’s appointment, customer service phone call, pizza delivery, etc.).
- Now (as in right now) set a reminder to say Keep Looking Up for at least one of them. Make a note on your calendar, wear a rubber band on your wrist, or put a KLŪ Wallet Card next to your charge card or cash where you’ll see it (print one for free here). You understand the value in doing this.
3. Do (break the ice quickly with something light and relevant)
- Comment on simple, positive things you have in common (the beautiful day outside, the warmth in the building on a cold day, etc.)
- Ask a question about business (is it good, when’s the busy season, how many times they’ll do some task today, and so on)
You get it: small talk. Then, as you’re parting ways, look them in the eye and in a tone that fits the situation, say:
- “Thank you for your work.”
- (Wait for it – pause for their response.)
- (Then say) “Keep Looking Up”
And don’t forget to smile!
4. Pray (as you leave – it only takes a few seconds)
- Pray the seed you just planted gets watered and takes root
- Give thanks to the Lord
Doing something new for the first time can be intimidating. This hack is an easy way to help you build the confidence to begin sharing with those close to you – by actually doing some real sharing with those that aren’t.
And who knows, maybe you’ll encounter some of those checkout folks again and they’ll ask you what Keep Looking Up means. That’s what KLŪ is intended to do: invite the conversation on faith so you don’t have to.
Even you – yes, you – can do this. So, get out there and do it.
And when you do, congratulations! You just joined the frontline in the eternal battle for souls! And you thought it was just the checkout line.
Here at KLŪ we call that sharing for the rest of us, and we’d like to come alongside you on your faith journey, not a guilt trip.
To find out more about getting started with the KLŪ tool set today, click here.
Keep Looking Up!
NOTE: Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.